During a typical window replacement project, taking the time to understand the process’ small details can help you anticipate problems and reduce stress. Here are some things to expect in such an undertaking:
1. Dust – Window replacement generates a lot of dust, especially during the removal of the old windows. We recommend having dust masks, especially if you have an old home that could contain asbestos-based insulation. Fortunately, our replacement windows are custom-built, so we generate relatively less dust and debris as no modifications need to be made to the original structure.
2. Noise – Expect a lot of noise when your windows are being replaced, which will likely disrupt your everyday routine. You won’t likely be able to work from home, so depending on the scope of the project, you may need to have accommodations made in advance, especially if you have an infant, pets, or someone who would get stressed out by the noise. You should also inform your neighbors about the project as a courtesy.
3. Unexpected expenses – Starting any remodeling project with a tight budget is risky. Make sure you have enough funds. Ten percent of the quoted price is usually enough to cover unexpected expenses like unforeseen repairs. If you don’t get to use your emergency funds for the project, put it towards your savings or use it for a minor home improvement.
4. Quick decisions – In case the aforementioned unforeseen repairs are discovered, you will be asked to make a quick decision on how to go about with the project, as this is where the emergency funds will likely be needed. So you need a clear line of communication with your window contractor. Make sure you can be reached at the number you provide or will be able to call back as soon as possible, or the project might get stalled while waiting for your decision.
5. The feeling of success – Once the project is completed, take a moment to appreciate your shiny new windows. It’s not every day you get to buy new windows, after all. And then take comfort in the knowledge that they will provide years of indoor comfort and energy savings.
At Renewal by Andersen®, we have a stress-free installation process that lets you focus on your day-to-day activities. Call Renewal by Andersen of New Mexico today at (505) 395-5120 or fill out our contact form to discuss your replacement window or patio door needs. We serve homeowners in Albuquerque, NM and nearby areas in New Mexico.